Sunday, July 12, 2009

Our Little Roo

Our little Roo has struggled since birth with acid reflux. Since she was born, she would do projectile spit ups and was colic. I learned as her mom that to help calm her was to hold her and press her tummy tightly to me. However, though she struggled after feedings, I saw a special strong spirit in Sydney. Since her birth, she has a gift of making people smile and feel good. She has such a sweet and beautiful spirit about her. I took her to 2 pediatricians and both said that she would grow out of this reflux. Well, at age 2 and after many Dr. visits and many different medications, she had not grown out of it and it was time to consult with a specialist. Sydney is in a small minority of children that suffer with acid reflux and will battle this her whole life. She has had to go to Primary Children's a few times for tests to determine the severity of her reflux. On one of the studies, it was a 24 hour procedure called a pH probe study.The probe measures how much acid is in the esophagus. Sydney's measured 562 times. So she has it pretty much all the time. Our little Roo, has learned, to swallow her vomit when it comes up. There are times that the acid has come up at least 20 times within a few minutes. After the test, the GI dr. recommended we visit with a surgeon to discuss possible surgery. She has to meet at least one of the 4 criteria, before we consider doing the surgery. One was weight loss, she however, thrives because she has learned to swallow it. The others poor teeth decay, possible choking during her reflux spells, and esophagus erosion. She had not met any of the criteria. So we felt pretty good about with holding on surgery. Until, I took her to a dentist and at age 2 she have at least 10 cavities in her mouth and will need crowns. Well, now we are dealing with that, and now seeing if we can tackle that problem and still try to figure out which diet and medication dose works best for her. Right now, we are still holding off on surgery and pray that we can prevent further tooth decay by brushing and flossing her teeth triple the daily amount. And as she gets older, she will be able to take care of her teeth and communicate to us what foods are upsetting her stomach etc. She is aware that her tummy hurts. She has been saying, "My tummy is sick.". Through this trial of Sydney's, I have felt the spirit through the specials blessings she has received from her grandpas and dad. I have also learned a few things. She at such a little age has taught me about patience, staying strong and keeping a positive outlook on life no matter your circumstance. You should always keep smiling. I have also come to appreciate having a children hospital so near to our home and an amazing medical staff that take care of the sick children, which I consider as ANGELS on earth.

6 comments:

Turpin Times said...

Oh, what a sweet little girl. I am sorry she has to go through all of that. She has the best Mom, though, to help her through it.

I, too, am grateful to have Primary Children's Hospital close by. We have made many trips there as well.

Good luck!

The Newbold's said...

I'm so sorry you guys have to deal with this, but what a little trooper!! She's so cute and I LOVE the last pic of her. I hope it gets better without the surgery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, good luck!!

Xander Man said...

Ahh I miss Mrs. Roo...she sure does bring a smile to my face anytime I see her. I sure do miss being able to be there to give her lots of loves:D I hope she is able to get better but know that she has great parent's to support her. Love ya!!
**also a great Aunt..ha ha

Emmy said...

We sure do love her. Isn't it amazing the things that our children teach us. I realize that every day.

loveourboys said...

Oh bless her little heart! I hope for her relief some day!

Ally Christensen said...

Poor little thing - I had no idea she still dealt with that. I hope you find a solution for her soon. There's nothing worse than having a child in pain and not being able to do anything for them.