Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Timber Dog

December 21, 1995 - November 16, 2008
We will miss you and you will always remain in our hearts.
Nov. 18th- My Timber Dog is gone. I laid and slept with Tim all Saturday night, and when Sunday morning came, he could not get up. He could not even sit up. He couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom or eat, he just laid on his side. He tried once to get up and follow me out of our room, but he fell. Kurt and I knew it was time. That morning, he patted his tail at me. He was still capable of knowing us, but his body was failing him. He went peacefully while I held him in my arms. He had a great vet, we are very thankful that he was able to help us that Sunday. We are going to miss our little dog for many years, but still do not regret the time we had with him and the love he brought into our lives. At this time, I am very thankful for a loving Heavenly Father that has promised us that we will have our pets forever. Thank you to all my family and friends that have left us sweet messages, phone calls, pie and flowers. All the thoughts and prayers have brought comfort to me, Kurt, and the kids. Timber touched not just our family, but others around him. We will truly forever miss that guy, but I have comfort knowing that he is not in pain, and can finally do the things we loved about him again. Have fun catching those Frisbees Tim! We love you! So I should be planning a YW lesson, but I can not focus. A dear friend of mine, told me about how her sister blogged about losing her dog and how it helped. So I thought I would try the advice and follow suit. And hopefully it will ease some sorrow. If you know me well, you know how much I love dogs. And you know how much I love my Timber Dog. He is such a great dog. I feel so blessed that I get to be his dog mom. I have had the best dog ever. He brings so much joy into our family's life. These past few months have not been good. It has been so hard to see his health deteriorate. He started with hearing loss, many strokes, daily accidents, and today we just found out that Timber for sure has a tumor on his brain stem that is sucking literally his life out of him. He has now loss the ability to walk straight and he falls into furniture, and has a hard time standing to eat his food. Today, I had to hold him while he drank. These last few days, he sometimes can't even stand up and will fall and lay helplessly. But even though he is going through these problems, he is still my great, happy, awesome dog. He still wags at me and follows me around the house. He will not let me leave his sight. I am his constant...and he is mine. I have been with this great dog for 13 incredible years. When he was 5... he got really sick and the vets told me he was not going to make it, but I refused to believe them and nursed him along and he regained his strength. But now, I don't think he has much longer. These last months have literally been the roughest I have ever felt. How do you decide when the time is right to let your furry pet go? It is tough. How much longer can I watch him slip from my hands...I am afraid of losing him. I am mad that he has an awful thing in him taking him away from us, I am sad because I only have a few precious days left to hold and pet him, and I am so happy that he has blessed my life and taught me to love unconditionally. He loves his family for who we are. He does not care about worldly things and he is also very forgiving of our shortcomings. He cares about life and experiences with his family. His life is a great example of how I should and everyone else in this world should live. I know some people who read this, may think he is just a dog...but in my, Kurt's, and the kids eyes he is our furry, four legged kid, and dog brother with a really big heart who loves to play and love everyone!

11 comments:

sbailey27 said...

Nicole, my heart is breaking for you! Our little furry friends do have a way of helping us understand unconditional love. Timber will soon be able to run and jump like he used to but it is so hard to say goodbye. My thoughts are with you!

Turpin Times said...

I'm sorry about your Timber!

Xander Man said...

I want to write something too:)
Dear Timber,
When I first laid eyes on you in my sisters lap.
You licked my face and wagged your tail.
Little did I know what you had in store.
You showed us what love really is, and now it hurts to see you go.
Remember the first time you catched a Frisbee.
Or rubbed on the ground in anything unknown.
You stole many socks and our hearts.
You snuggled under the covers and above.
You always greeted happily at the door.
Your tail would swag when you heard “Park”.
Your hind legs you would drag around on command, to bring a smile to our faces.
All the love you brought was more than what was asked.
No other dog can replace you.
You will remain in my memories forever.
Love always.

I cried when I read your blog and hope you can tell timber how much I love him too! I really liked this quote...
“The best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of the master” author Ben Hur Lampman

Williams Ski Team said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Williams Ski Team said...

Thank you so much Amber. You are the best dog god-mother. He loves you so much! I love that poem you wrote...I am going to frame it with our picture you took and his paws. I love you!

loveourboys said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. That is so sad.
Thanks for letting me come to Bunco, I had a total BLAST. I think you are hilarious, I hope you win next time! C-ya Stacey

shelly said...

I know how much you LOVE your Timber dog. He was literally part of the family. I can't imagine how hard it would be to watch him go through all of that. We love you!

Heather said...

So sorry Nicole, it really is like losing a member of the family when you lose a beloved pet. Sometimes it seems like they are the only ones who truly love us even with all our faults.

Myers Family said...

Nicole,
I am crying reading your blog about Timber. I think you guys were amazing to him and he loved you for it. I am really sorry and hope all is well with your family, especially Bryson. You are a great person!!
Angie

Sonya said...

Wow, that was beautiful Nicole! I'm glad Amberly was able to take pictures of you all with Timber and I love her poem. Lots of love from us to you. See you in a few.

About Us. said...

Nicole, I had a dog for 17 years of my life while growing up. He helped me through some tough times with his unconditional love. So I totally know how you must feel! When he died all but one of my siblings were married and out of the house. But we all bawled like babies when we buried him. It's been 9 years or more since he died and I still think about him from time to time. Hang in there and be gratefull for the love of an adoring pet, it is a special thing!