Thursday, April 2, 2009
Family Matters
Lately I have been teaching and pondering a lot about Family. I have taught in Young Women about families, Family Home Evening, and Bailey's 1st grade class. I am volunteering and teaching for Junior Achievement. Junior Achievement is a non profit organization financed by corporations and individuals. It's sole purpose is to educate young people to value free enterprise, business, and economics to improve the quality of their lives. I felt honored to be considered to take on this task of teaching the kids about our economies. I feel like I am back into my HR training years and I am loving it! In the lesson manual they start with the basics of any economy which is ourselves and family. While I was prepping for this lesson, I could not help but reflect on what I have been teaching the young women and my kiddos. They basically go hand in hand. Family units are so important to an economy and they are very important for our eternal salvation. I love how this program is teaching these kids that families do matter! Today, my focus was on how all families are different. Some have a mom and dad, some have grandparents as parents, some have cousins living with them, some just have a mom or a dad etc. But each of those families contribute. Isn't that same with the teachings we are taught at church? We are all different, but God loves us for who we are. He knows each one of us individually and our hearts desires. I came from an awesome family, the Sill's, I was brought up by loving parents who taught me the truths of the gospel and showed me the truths by example. Since being married, I have come to realize that I take on a new name...The Williams', I am now part of that family and I love it! I have a plaque in our home that reads, "Be true to who you are and the family name you bear." I feel it is an honor to carry the Williams name and know that I am helping strengthen that name by the traits that my parents taught me. The Williams family is different from the Sill family, but that is fantastic. Because every family has strengths and weaknesses. When Kurt and I got married in the temple, I felt the spirit and knew there were other family members in that room that we could not see, rejoicing because of our decision to combine these two families and make it stronger. And now I have rambled on far away from my point, so my point was...family is important both earthly and spiritually. When pondering about what is most important, family or friends...I think of it this way...Friends are an accessory, they add flavor to our life, but we can survive without flavor such as ear rings, bags, sungalsses etc. but our family is our clothing, we would not to be seen without clothing...We Need Them...Family Does Matter....
And of course, none of the spiritual matters were discussed in my lesson today in Bailey's class!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It was so nice to see into a special daughters heart how she feels about her family names - we are so blessed as parents with all the spouses each of our children have added to our family. New names, old names we are all eternal. Love you
What a beautiful post. It made me reflect and even tugged at the heart a little:)You truly are an unique person with such great insight into life and the gospel. You have such sincerity about people and life. I really appreciate your intuitive knowledge on what you have shared. Love ya.
I'm so glad that you are my sister! Thanks for the inspiration and it's good to see you sharing your talents with everyone :). You never know what these kids will pick up on and carry with them for the rest of their lives. Kudos for reinforcing the family!!
I loved reading that...sounds like you are busy doing good things. I love thinking of all I have learned from my parents and how that shaped me into the person I am today...
Amen sista!!!!
Post a Comment