Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Lifetime of Church Meetings

Nicole and I store my parents pop-up trailer in our garage. This is partly as a favor and partly in hopes that they'll let us borrow it from time to time. Mostly the former. Space is at a premium at their house, and we won't need the garage space until Bryson parks his oldsmolbuik rust-bucket or 1972 lime green AMC Gremlin in there.

Saturday my Dad came over to fix the water pump in his trailer and I was able to assist him during surgery. I had limited time as there was a stake conference related meeting in the late afternoon and I'd promised a slew of people that I'd go. Unfortunately the demons in the trailer's water supply system were not going down without a fight and we found ourselves with the whole thing still torn apart when my meeting was about to start.

I ran in the house and quickly started throwing on my shirt and tie, already late to my meeting. As I tied my tie, I wondered if I shouldn't stay and help. My Dad is in his eighties after all. I thought to myself, "How often do I get to fix anything with my Dad?" I asked my wife what she thought, and she wisely said, "You've got a lifetime full of church meetings ahead of you."

I skipped the meeting and stayed to fix the trailer with my Dad. Sometimes you have to choose between better and best. It was good decision and the best part of my Father's Day weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wise wife and best decision!! You are a truly wonderful son and son-in-law.

Xander Man said...

You the man Kurt! Sometimes people don't realize how precious life is. That we need to share and help out. Way to not be selfish..I love it!

Williams Ski Team said...

Ah, you are so cool! You chose the better of the best. Your dad loves you. I am so glad that you blogged about this, because this is a memory you don't want to forget. Love ya!

Turpin Times said...

Ah, what a sweet wife! Nicole is the best! By the way Nicole, I want to know about your HH ladies - you looked great when I saw you a few weeks ago.

Sonya said...

What a great memory to have! I wish I had an ounce of Nicole's wisdom :).