Monday, October 20, 2008

Bad Start - Great Finish!

For UEA, we went to Moab. A place where I enjoyed going to when I was in college. Kurt and I were very excited to get away as a family and enjoy the outdoors together. So here is the deal with the bad start. Our plan leave for Moab as early as possible on Thursday and come home Sunday evening. We got up, ran the errands, tidied up work arrangements, got Timber all adjusted in the car(he has now had 4 strokes), packed the trailer, got the kids in the car and we are ready to go. I told Kurt that I would back up the car, ran to the car, excited to go, turned the keys and NOTHING! The car won't start. I could not believe it! So being positive I happily told Kurt that the car would not start. We had to push the Durango out of the garage so Kurt could jump start the car. Still nothing. Kurt's car is not in the best shape, so we had our friend Shana bring her car over, still nothing. So we came to the conclusion that the battery must be shot. After finding the right tools to get the battery out etc. and buying a new one, we were on the road to Moab. We arrived to our campground at 11:30 pm. That was the start of the trip...not so great. The next half was fun! We played in the dirt, hiked to the Delicate Arch, Sand Dune Arch, Broken Arch, visited Canyonlands, hiked around Dead Horse Point, miniatured golf, painted rocks, looked for rabbits, listened to owls and coyotes at night, and of course played UNO! The kids had fun, their favorite part as well as mine was playing in the sand at Sand Dune Arch. I like how Kurt describes the place, Heavenly Father wanted a playground for the children so he put one right in the middle of the park. Timber even had fun, he loves to hike and camp. We couldn't take him on the hikes, but he did enjoy walking around the campground and barking at the other dogs, and smelling rabbit trails.

13 comments:

Turpin Times said...

Sounds so fun! Glad you were able to enjoy the second half.

sbailey27 said...

Wow! What amazing pictures. They look like a travel brochure. Sounds like a great getaway. I have been wanting to take my kids there. It's probably a good time of year to go!

Xander Man said...

I love the pics! Love Sidney's sand angels..lol. I can't beleive how much you guys do with the kiddos. You guys are such cool parents.

Xander Man said...

I can spell...believe. Just typed it too fast=)

Myers Family said...

Gosh Nicole you are a traveling maniac. I am sure you guys are making a lot of family memories. Looks like you had a lot of fun. How did your dessert turn out?

loveourboys said...

Hey Nicole! Yeah I did get my DVD, and I've been wanting to tell you how talented you are!!! It is the greatest, Parker watched it over and over the day he got it!! Thanks so much-are you doing one for Dahl? I can help with pics again if you'd like, let me know! I'm going to add you to my list-blogs are such a great way to keep in touch! By the way-Darling blog! Stacey M

Heather said...

I have never been to Moab, but you guys make it look really fun. I love the pictures you have of your girls on the side of your blog. . . did you take them or have someone else do it?

Heather said...

LOL So I just answered my own question by reading the next blog down. You will have to tell me when your sis is visiting Utah, I would love to have her get some pics of my kids!

Sonya said...

Serious?! You couldn't drive another 6 hours to our house LOL! Cute pictures! Love the arches :)

Williams Ski Team said...

I know, I am sorry! Next year, you could meet up with us and camp with us!

shelly said...

I hate car problems! It looks like you guys still had plenty of time for lots of fun!
I love the pictures in the sand, that is great!

awindowsillview said...

Beautiful pictures from Moab! Sounds like you're already enjoying your new trailer! Looks like the weather was perfect too, what a great time to go - such fun family memories!

Kindred Family said...

What a fun trip. Talking about camping reminded me our our girls camp days and made me miss you. I bet your kids had a blast even with the car trouble! I love the picture of Bailey pinching Sydney - so funny!
- Katie